Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Get Rid of Iron Stains in Your Pool

What a beautiful day in Michigan today.  92 degrees with not a cloud in the sky.  Us (grammar check) We Michiganders (yes, that's what I call those from Michigan) deserve many days like this after the record breaking winter of 2013/2014!

I decided to take a break from my masters program studies and read by the pool.  After reading, soaking in some sun, and becoming quite sweaty I decided to take a swim in the pool which was absolutely beautiful.

We have a fiberglass, in-ground pool which we fill every year from our garden hose.  Since we have a well, a lot of iron passes into our pool even though I use a filter on the hose.  This iron creates an ugly, orangey-brown stain all over the pool - especially on the seats and steps, but it is ALL over.  This iron staining makes our pool look dirty even when it is sparkling clean. 

Yesterday, I suddenly remembered that last year I discovered an easy, inexpensive way to remove these iron stains.  Simply...Vitamin C Crystals.  That's it!  Really!  Sprinkle the crystals into the pool and almost immediately the stains begin disappearing.  After I remembered this, I went to the cabinet and found a half-filled bottle of Trader Joe's Vitamin C Crystals.  I sprinkled them into the pool paying special attention to the steps and seats.  This was about 8pm.  I noticed right away some of the stains disappearing.  I decided I would go to Trader Joe's in the morning and purchase another bottle of Vitamin C Crystals.
This 16oz bottle was $11.99.

This morning when I checked the pool almost all the staining was gone!  I still noticed some along the water level and on the bottom of the pool.  I purchased some more vitamin c and sprinkled the entire 16oz bottle into the pool at 1pm.  Checking on the pool at 4pm all the staining was gone!  Well, there is still a small amount by the skimmer basket return.

I don't know what precautions there are concerning the chemicals and water balance, but I have never experienced anything negative from using Vitamin C.  I would recommend to research it more if you were going to try this.   You can find Vitamin C crystals at many stores.  I believe it is important that you choose a Vitamin C product that is from ascorbic acid.  You will be able to tell by looking at the ingredients label.

This is a picture of the staining that remains.  Look closely and you can see the staining.  Almost my whole pool had this staining, but much darker.  Since I just added more vitamin c today, I will check on any improvement tomorrow .


So use this tip and enjoy your sparkling, clear pool this summer and many more to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment